Kissing the Earth with your feet?
Updated: Aug 24, 2022
"Walk as if you are kissing the earth with your feet!"
Thich Nhat Hanah
Where are all the barefoot Gods & Goddesses at? If you are like me, this month's Self-Care Ritual is definitely for you! I can remember hating shoes my entire life. There is simply nothing better than that amazing feeling of free toes soft earth beneath them. And as far back as I remember hating shoes, I also remember my mom giving me a daily and much needed "Tootsie Bath". That's right, up on the counter, feet in the sink , tons of scrubbing and then I'd be ready for bed. Funny enough I realize even as an adult I still wash my feet every night before bed. As much as I adore my dirty feet; I don't want that dirt in between my sheets.
Here's 5 reasons why you too should incorporate a foot washing ritual into your nightly self-care routine.
1. In many religions and cultures dating back before the bible, the ritual of washing the feet was important. Offering water to a guest to wash their feet after travel was an important part of welcoming hospitality. Symbolizing both humility and purity as well as the practical application of being fresh and clean. Taking a few moments to symbolically wash the energy of the day away before bed can be a great way to let go of extra stress and tension.
2. Have trouble falling asleep? Add a few drops of lavender or clary sage essential oil to a tablespoon of carrier oil and take some deep breaths. Add this blend to your foot bath. The warm water and calming scents will not only feel good to your senses but studies show, they might help you fall asleep. Be sure to pat your feet dry and be careful not to slip and fall.
3. Find a foot spritz with a hint of ginger to soothe in the Winter, or with some peppermint to cool you off in the Summer. This can make you feel much more comfortable before climbing into bed.
4. You can add an amazing foot soak or epsom salts to give your achy feet some pain relief after a long day.
5. It's a super simple way to give your body some TLC. If you have extra time, allow your feet to soak and give yourself a great foot massage with your favorite body butter. If you are short on time, scrub away, take a few deep breaths, dry off and get cozy in bed.
Do Your Feet Need a little Extra TLC?
This Month: Add a Peppermint Foot Treatment to any session for just $15.00! A peppermint foot spray, hot towels and a Bergamot Mint Foot Balm
You can also bring home our Rosemary Lavender Foot Soak to use at home. Prices vary, stop in to check out our new retail section.
PS: We love working on feet! So if you have been leaving out your feet because you are embarrassed to get them massaged, lets work on that together. Let us know you are ready to try it, or simply ask for a little foot work during your next session. You don't know what you're missing.
Stephanie Cavoli is a licensed massage therapist specializing in helping people with autoimmune disorders live happier more comfortable lives.